Followers

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Meditation ... Is it for you?

Do you ever wonder about it?

Here are some random thoughts on the practice of meditation ...

How the heck do I find the time?
I don't know the right way to do it.
I'll probably fall asleep.
My brain would never slow down enough to even begin.
I wonder if I can even sit still long enough to settle down.
The phone will ring - text beep - door knock - kids want me.
I can't cross my legs like a yogi - or sit on the floor ... and what's up with the fingers making a circle?
I don't know chants - I don't want to hum - isn't that they do?
Isn't it some kind of prayer thing?  

How am I doing?  
You may have some other ones to add to the list, hm?

I can only speak for myself.  Let me reassure you ... meditation is always a practice ... it is a quieting of of the mind ... it does take time for your body and brain to even get used to the idea of settling down a bit.  And for that - a routine, a specific time of the day, is a good thing.  Like anything, once you start practicing, it does get easier.  

There are many ways to meditate and yes, some do sit on the floor, hum, chant or just 'be still' - it's a way of connecting/clearing/praying. 

You can meditate with movement - a purposeful walk, jog, paying attention to breathing. T'ai Chi and QiGong are meditation forms. Once you're really good at knitting and don't have to think ... you can knit and meditate, too.  Saying a rosary, repeating a prayer ...  it's letting go of thoughts, and  breathe, breathe, breathe.  A friend of mine had a great way to describe meditation:  "It's finding the space between your thoughts."

It can be a spiritual practice - or not.  For me it is.  I figure my relationship with God is a two way street.  It's like with any relationship.  If one does all the talking and never listens ... hmmm, what happens then?  How do I ever learn?  How do I hear the whispers?  Be still

In learning to practice meditation, sometimes guided meditation is very helpful.  When I work with clients, I go through a relaxation meditation and follow with a visualization meditation.  That way, there's a specific time allotted, a focus on relaxing and letting go of stress.  Once they get used to their pattern, they are comfortable in doing it independently at home/in the office/wherever.

Group meditations are very powerful.  Having a specific intention as a group, and then having the quiet time to meditate, is truly healing for our world.  Every Thursday at 6pm, Vicki Hanson, CHT, is having an Open Group Meditation Night.  2029 S 6th Street, Brainerd, MN. She says, "Whether you are a beginner or are experienced in meditation techniques, this is a great way to share this practice with others.  if you haven't experienced the power of meditating in a group setting, then you must come and join us!" You can contact her by email: vicki@newawarenessproject.com

Studies have shown with 8 weeks of mindful meditation, for about 25 minutes a day, there are measurable changes in the brain region (the amygdala) associated with memory, sense of self, empathy and stress.  Meditation plays an important role in reducing anxiety and stress ... and we've all heard, stress leads to illness in many forms.  

I'm saving the following link for my biggest heart 'hurrah'! It's a great example of how wonderfully powerful this practice is.
There are schools beginning to use 'quiet time' with the whole student body - bullying is down, grades are up, self esteem issues are improving ... http://www.davidlynchfoundation.org/schools.html#video=93-NzNBLCbE  ... pretty awesome, isn't it?

Is meditation for you?  It works for some of us ... maybe you?
Let me know if you want to give it a try!

Blessings and Love!



1 comment:

  1. Would love to see more schools and people practicing quiet time. Or, maybe a group walk, then, sitting a while and being still.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by!